Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Loremaster

Default Goblin Racial Traits

Since the Worgen had one of these threads, I figured we should consider what Goblins would be getting too. Here are a few of my ideas.

Mind on the Money - Passive. Goblins get an extra X% currency from kills and vendor sales.

This would represent the haggling and scavanger nature of Goblins, as they would basically get more money from both corpses and selling items to vendors. The % should be low, maybe in the 5-15% range, and would not work on things like the Auction House. Whether Quests would give the bonus I am unsure.

Alchemy Mastery - Improves Alchemy by X.

While this gives the Goblin TWO non-combat related racials, which has not been seen on any other race, I felt out of all the races it would fit them the most. They are never really about the fighting, but more about the commerce, and thus having two non-combat passives, one combat passive, and one combat activated, just felt like the better model to take.

Island Fever - You have succumbed to probably every jungle sickness under the sun at some point in your life, poisons and disease only last X% as long as they normally would.

This is one I felt would be a good defensive racial that was passive, similar to how many other races have resistance to certain spell schools or effects. I was considering either this or a full on ability to resist such effects, but much like how Hardiness was changed to a reduction for balance reasons, I felt so should this skill.

Explosive Disposition/Mind/Charge - Activated. The next attack done by the Goblin is enhanced with an explosive charge, increasing it's damage by X% and exploding on impact, hitting others around the target for X% of the total damage. X% Minute Cooldown.

This was the final idea I chose, because I felt it embodied some of the motif of the Goblin while giving it a versatile offensive option without just becoming another Blood Fury or Berserking. The numbers would have to be balanced to prevent it from becoming to strong, but if done right it could be a very good strategic compliment to the Goblin, allowing one good powerful strike but not very high sustained DPS like the others. It would also be more situational in PVP, which it should be. This attack would cause the Goblin's hands to glow red, and will activate on the next ability or spell that is used. So a warrior might get more out of a mortal strike while using it, or a mage might get more out of a pyroblast. Once the charge is used, you have to wait for the long cooldown to get it again.

Here are some more ideas that I came up with, but don't think would work in the gameplay scape.

Kaboom! V1 - Activated. When activated the Goblin uses a built-in sapper charge to blow himself up, damaging all enemies in the area including himself.

This one I felt would be best in line with the Goblin motif. However, not only can every engineer in the game get this type of ability, it would probably end up being more a detriment to the Goblin then to his enemies and would be worthless in most PVE situations (bosses), and overpowered in others. (trash)

Kaboom! V2 - Activated. When the Goblin gets low on health (-30%) he can activate this skill to use a built-in mega sapper charge, which will explode, doing lots of damage to everyone in a radius around him but killing him in the process.

This one I felt would be more in line with the skill, but still had flaws. One, killing yourself to kill others might not work in the long run. If they make it so it gives a durability hit, then it would be stupid for use in PVP, and if they made it so it didn't, then all Goblins would have a free "I don't have to take durability loss!" button. In the end I felt this version wouldn't work either, so I dropped the idea entirely for the one in my main list above.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Kaboom! V1 - Activated. When activated the Goblin uses a built-in sapper charge to blow himself up, damaging all enemies in the area including himself.

This one I felt would be best in line with the Goblin motif. However, not only can every engineer in the game get this type of ability, it would probably end up being more a detriment to the Goblin then to his enemies and would be worthless in most PVE situations (bosses), and overpowered in others. (trash)

Kaboom! V2 - Activated. When the Goblin gets low on health (-30%) he can activate this skill to use a built-in mega sapper charge, which will explode, doing lots of damage to everyone in a radius around him but killing him in the process.

This one I felt would be more in line with the skill, but still had flaws. One, killing yourself to kill others might not work in the long run. If they make it so it gives a durability hit, then it would be stupid for use in PVP, and if they made it so it didn't, then all Goblins would have a free "I don't have to take durability loss!" button. In the end I felt this version wouldn't work either, so I dropped the idea entirely for the one in my main list above.
I had an idea similar to this a long time ago but for a trinket called Azgalor's Will. The idea got shot down because it would "remind people too much of a suicide bomber" and "Blizzard would never do anything to glorify/ make light of suicide for a PC at least."

EDIT: not saying I agree with it, but I could definately see the arguments.

Last edited by Ded Chikn; 07-31-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM

Treant

Quote:
Since the Worgen had one of these threads, I figured we should consider what Goblins would be getting too. Here are a few of my ideas.

Mind on the Money - Passive. Goblins get an extra X% currency from kills and vendor sales.

This would represent the haggling and scavanger nature of Goblins, as they would basically get more money from both corpses and selling items to vendors. The % should be low, maybe in the 5-15% range, and would not work on things like the Auction House. Whether Quests would give the bonus I am unsure..
And a million gold farmers would cry out and rejoice as their job got easier. I know some sort of haggle is a popular guess for Goblins, but even a tiny increase in efficiency when it comes to earning gold would be enough that eventually every farmbot would be a goblin, and overall one with an easier job.

Quote:

While this gives the Goblin TWO non-combat related racials, which has not been seen on any other race, I felt out of all the races it would fit them the most. They are never really about the fighting, but more about the commerce, and thus having two non-combat passives, one combat passive, and one combat activated, just felt like the better model to take..
I see nothing wrong with this, though I've always felt an alchemy racial would have suited the Forsaken more, the Goblins could also go with it. However it maybe that the lore link between Goblins and Engineering is too strong for Blizz to ignore.

Quote:
Island Fever - You have succumbed to probably every jungle sickness under the sun at some point in your life, poisons and disease only last X% as long as they normally would.

This is one I felt would be a good defensive racial that was passive, similar to how many other races have resistance to certain spell schools or effects. I was considering either this or a full on ability to resist such effects, but much like how Hardiness was changed to a reduction for balance reasons, I felt so should this skill..
This could easily be made OP in pvp, or so weak as to be useless. But not a bad idea.

As for the rest, Ded Chikn is probably right. Besides weren't the Goblins used as bombs the stupidest of the stupid? Player Characters won't be seen as such.

Last edited by Kairos; 07-31-2009 at 08:40 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
And a million gold farmers would cry out and rejoice as their job got easier. I know some sort of haggle is a popular guess for Goblins, but even a tiny increase in efficiency when it comes to earning gold would be enough that eventually every farmbot would be a goblin, and overall one with an easier job.
Who cares? We will have farmers regardless, and we should not remove a decent racial just because farmers will exist. Most farmers these days don't even get gold by simply farming, but instead through scamming, which is going to keep happening as well. Hey, if it really is a big deal, just don't give the Goblin's the de-facto farming classes, like the hunter, and instead give them the classes that are not good at farming, like the warrior, to make it seem less attractive for overall botfarming purposes.

Hey, at the very least, this would make them even more easy to spot. See a Goblin just randomly killing everything in sight, in one spot, for a few hours? Most likely a bot, report him.

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with this, though I've always felt an alchemy racial would have suited the Forsaken more, the Goblins could also go with it. However it maybe that the lore link between Goblins and Engineering is too strong for Blizz to ignore.
Gnomes already have engineering, and Blizzard has yet to have a profession racial overlap with another race. Alchemy is the only other profession that can be easily tied with Goblins (The Goblin Alchemist hero in WarCraft 3), and thus fits for them to get it instead.

Quote:
This could easily be made OP in pvp, or so weak as to be useless. But not a bad idea.
How so? How would it really be any different then Hardiness and it's 15% reduction on stun time? Or 2% chance of not getting hit by frost/shadow/nature spells? Etc? It's supposed to be a simple, light bonus for Goblins. We are not talking like 50% less time on such effects, but maybe enough so that the Goblin gets out of Crippling Poison 1-2 seconds faster then other races, or that Devouring Plague ends before the final "tick" or two of damage that would be caused. Yes, it is negligible, but that is the point of a lot of those defensive passive traits.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Rather than get more money, I would give them a racial to be better traders, so the prizes of what they buy and/or sell is lower/higher and whatever.

Would make more sense, imo.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Rather than get more money, I would give them a racial to be better traders, so the prizes of what they buy and/or sell is lower/higher and whatever.
Prizes?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah, Goblins need to get something similar. My version is named Haggle and reduces vendor (not AH!) costs by 5%.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
No thanks
It sounds boring to me

Quote:
Explosive Disposition/Mind/Charge - Activated. The next attack done by the Goblin is enhanced with an explosive charge, increasing it's damage by X% and exploding on impact, hitting others around the target for X% of the total damage. X% Minute Cooldown.
I love this! Its way better then the traditional Kaboom! racial, which I used myself. I think I will steal it - like a true Goblin would xD

I will post mine later.
I have 3 racials (Explosive Dispotion, Chemistry & Haggle) - but I need a third passive one.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Island Fever would be awesome.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Rather than get more money, I would give them a racial to be better traders, so the prices of what they buy and/or sell is lower/higher and whatever.
Fixed >_<.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Yeah, Goblins need to get something similar. My version is named Haggle and reduces vendor (not AH!) costs by 5%.

Agreed.

No thanks
It sounds boring to me

I love this! Its way better then the traditional Kaboom! racial, which I used myself. I think I will steal it - like a true Goblin would xD

I will post mine later.
I have 3 racials (Explosive Dispotion, Chemistry & Haggle) - but I need a third passive one.
Did you really just restate essentially what Scythe had already written? Are you actually that arrogant that you can't see the inherent similarities between those ideas (and thus why you shouldn't say they're yours but a modification on someone else's)? In the most literal sense, you just refuted Scythe's MoM idea and renamed it as if yours was different and somehow better.

I mean, for god's sake, the skills are ubiquitous across the board, everyone suggests the same basic thing (something alchemy related, something explosive related, something money related), and it's as if the entire discussion goes completely over your head and you can't stand not reinventing the wheel. Hell when someone pulls out a new thought, you look at it with disdain as if you're the fucking King of England, because it's not awesome enough according to you.

Edit: Damn it, I need a beer to calm my nerves now.

The Mad Admin
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Eternal

What? I only stole the Explosive Charge (which I will change to the orginal Kaboom again).

I already had Goblin racial ideas in my other threads >.>
Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Yeah, I know, and they were similar to everyone else's, but instead of saying that you (at the very least) implied your ideas were new, different and better in some way without actually using facts or logic to explain that.

Not to mention, as I keep saying, you keep reinventing the wheel. None of your ideas have an original concept to them, and those that do you shoot down because you "think they're boring."

Grow a pair and learn to suggest improvements and changes instead of trampling over everyone else's ideas in your bullheaded haste to come up with something to be proud of.

The Mad Admin
Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Eternal

I dont know what you mean or what you flamed me for :S
I never said in my post that I had came up with anyone of those alone :S
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I dont know what you mean or what you flamed me for :S
I never said in my post that I had came up with anyone of those alone :S
You need to get your english skills checked then, because the way you've written most of your response/suggestion posts is about as arrogant and opinionated as they come.

And stop using mother fucking smilies when talking to me. Others may not mind it, and that's their prerogative, but if you want to have a serious conversation you need to learn to express things verbally not emotively, otherwise it comes across as comical and sarcastic. (And god help you if you're being snide with me right now, god fucking help you.)

Edit: To be clear, I would rescind my position as a moderator just to verbally destroy you at this moment in time, so unless you want to hear every little detail of why you've driven people nuts over the past few years, why so many of us loathe you, be careful how you respond to this.

The Mad Admin

Last edited by Cantus; 07-31-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Eternal

Cantus, calm down. He doesn't deserve you getting worked up like that and none of us like to see you that way. Forget about him.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Loremaster

Can we get back to talking about possible Goblin racial traits, please?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:41 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I'm still not that sold on the Alchemy trait. If anything, I'd guess the Forsaken to have it. Not every race needs a Profession racial.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Eternal

I put them in because of lack of imagination xD
Old 07-31-2009, 01:50 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Apologies to everyone else, just a bad day on my end and I shouldn't take it out on the local punching bag.

Rob, for my respect of Wulf, Scythe, and the rest of the genuinely fantastic posters around, you get a reprieve today...just remember this in the future, you're now on my shit list. The only person on my shit list.

The Mad Admin
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Treant

Agreed Scythe, I was enjoying hearing everyone's ideas.

I think that the increase on vendoring would have to be very minor to make sure that everyone doesn't roll goblin for the extra munnies. I had an idea for a nice levelling geared sort of racial:

Smooth talker - The goblin uses his wits and, erm, 'charm', to escape from a humanoid enemy. Has a 25% chance to put the target back to it's original patrol path, also stunning it for 5 seconds, giving the goblin chance to get away. The target will restore to full health and mana, and if attacked, the stun will break. 1 minute cooldown.

I couldn't think of the phrase for when a mob stops attacking you because you've run away too far, but that's basically what this would do. Handy for when you're levelling and things all go a bit wrong. The alternative is to make it a 50% success chance and make it a 2 min CD, or even a 100% chance of success with a 4/5 minute CD. It would obviously not work in instances or raids, as it is just a panic button for when grinding and, to a greater degree, a levelling ability, for them times when you think "OH SHIT PULLED MOB FORGOT TO EAT" or "OH CRAP MOB CHASING ME ABOUT TO DIE".

Hope you get what I mean.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakabite View Post
Agreed Scythe, I was enjoying hearing everyone's ideas.

I think that the increase on vendoring would have to be very minor to make sure that everyone doesn't roll goblin for the extra munnies. I had an idea for a nice levelling geared sort of racial:

Smooth talker - The goblin uses his wits and, erm, 'charm', to escape from a humanoid enemy. Has a 25% chance to put the target back to it's original patrol path, also stunning it for 5 seconds, giving the goblin chance to get away. The target will restore to full health and mana, and if attacked, the stun will break. 1 minute cooldown.

I couldn't think of the phrase for when a mob stops attacking you because you've run away too far, but that's basically what this would do. Handy for when you're levelling and things all go a bit wrong. The alternative is to make it a 50% success chance and make it a 2 min CD, or even a 100% chance of success with a 4/5 minute CD. It would obviously not work in instances or raids, as it is just a panic button for when grinding and, to a greater degree, a levelling ability, for them times when you think "OH SHIT PULLED MOB FORGOT TO EAT" or "OH CRAP MOB CHASING ME ABOUT TO DIE".

Hope you get what I mean.
The best word I can think of for the mechanic is disengage, but don't quote me on that.

As useful as that is in-game, I'm not sure it'd hold over well with just the active ability alone. Maybe a passive portion as well, a chance when under 1% health to disengage targets at the cost of a portion of (2-5% maybe) durability. Hmm, that's a bit overpowered, but I do believe you need another gimmick in the spell to keep the player base happy.

The Mad Admin
Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Ranger

Mercenary: You recieve X% more money from quest rewards.

This would tie in with the idea that if Goblins become playable races that they will be mercenaries, no matter what side we're (maybe) gonna see them on.
(I mean lore-wise, not game mechanic wise)

Like Blood knights.
Lorewise they're not Pallies, but as far as the game goes, they are.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

Loremaster

I really don't like the idea of a massive aggro dump. It is the same reason they got rid of "Fall of Humanity" not long after trying it out on the PTR.

If people are really not sure about Mind of the Money, I guess we could change it to a simple discount at vendors. I just think that is not very imaginative. The way I saw it, Mind on the Money would be similar to how humans have Diplomacy, a skill that allows them to collect something faster then all other races. The Horde could use something desirable like that. It does not even need to be as good as Diplomacy, since it covers a much larger range of options.

I stick by my Jungle Fever suggestion, I just think it fits with a lot of the other racial traits as a good defensive passive. I also am going to stand by Explosive Disposition, since I fill it fits the best as a offensive activated, which right now are very lacking in the game (only 4 races have an offensive activated, all the rest are defensive activated.)

Alchemy, I still think would be better then Engineering at this point (Undead are not going to get any new racial traits, so it is moot to try and hope they will get it), but I am opening for any other passive offensive/defensive racial being used instead.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 PM

Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
Mercenary: You recieve X% more money from quest rewards.

This would tie in with the idea that if Goblins become playable races that they will be mercenaries, no matter what side we're (maybe) gonna see them on.
(I mean lore-wise, not game mechanic wise)

Like Blood knights.
Lorewise they're not Pallies, but as far as the game goes, they are.
This would, in my opinion, either be massively over powered (an extra 10% money from my dailies, very nice) or be completely irrelevant because x is so low. I don't know, it just seems like goblins could easily becoming the chosen class just because they would make so much more gold at high levels. I guess it would depend what x was really.

The idea of having it passive is a pretty nice idea Cantus, but it could well be OP. Also, it makes it slightly more forgettable I suppose. The idea of a durability penalty with the ability is nice though. Maybe because the goblin had to snap a bit of his armour off to give to the humanoid to convince it? Having it as an ability makes it a low level panic button, maybe even getting new players used to the idea of a panic button. Plus, the amount of relief this would give me when playing a low level alt would be huge, simply as a matter of occasional convenience.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakabite View Post
This would, in my opinion, either be massively over powered (an extra 10% money from my dailies, very nice) or be completely irrelevant because x is so low. I don't know, it just seems like goblins could easily becoming the chosen class just because they would make so much more gold at high levels. I guess it would depend what x was really.

The idea of having it passive is a pretty nice idea Cantus, but it could well be OP. Also, it makes it slightly more forgettable I suppose. The idea of a durability penalty with the ability is nice though. Maybe because the goblin had to snap a bit of his armour off to give to the humanoid to convince it? Having it as an ability makes it a low level panic button, maybe even getting new players used to the idea of a panic button. Plus, the amount of relief this would give me when playing a low level alt would be huge, simply as a matter of occasional convenience.
5% would be pretty decent imo, besides.
There are other racials who are more fluff than usefull, like Tauren herbalism. After Mulgore it didn't really help thatmuch.